6.28.2009

Emma Watson's life on the Potter set

.


Emma talks about what a typical day on the set is like, and her feelings about the franchise after being involved for so long: On the Potter set, "it takes an hour to get ready every day. They call us at 7.30am." Watson leans forward across the trailer's Formica table to show me the extensions plaited into her backcombed light brown hair to give it Hermione Granger's messy curls. Plus there are fake scars – "They must have rubbed off - I just took a nap" - and plenty of slap to make her lightly freckled skin matt and witchy. The heavy eyebrows are for real, though. Watson is still thankful she was not forced to wear the buck teeth allotted to Hermione in the books. When she put them in, she couldn’t talk, and the director dumped them, along with Radcliffe's green contact lenses, both too hard on the young stars. Watson still found her role a burden as well as a pleasure. "When I was little, I didn’t understand that other kids thought I actually was Hermione, really geeky. It was devastating. I thought no one would ever fancy me. And the costumes..." There was the school uniform, all stiff and buttoned up for Hermione and hanging out for the boys. When the mini-witch was having fun, she wore frumpy, Brillo-pad jumpers in ugly colours. Indeed the Potter series has been a triumph for bad knitwear. “When I was just becoming a teenager, I took some coaxing to get into those horrible jumpers, but now I really use the discomfort, the itchiness, the backcombed hair, to get into character.”

0 comments

 

Followers